Does your business require a Safety Statement?
At Key Safety we can prepare a company specific Safety Statement with Risk Assessments for your business. After an initial consultation and visit to your premises/site we prepare the Safety Statement for you to approve.
What is a Safety Statement?
A Safety Statement is a legal requirement for all employers. The company Safety Statement is a written document which describes how Health and Safety within your company is managed. A Health and Safety Statement is your duty of care to your employees to manage risks and hazards in the workplace.
What should be covered in a Safety Statement?
The areas that should be covered by the Safety Statement are specific and are set out in Section 20 of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. The Statement should be based on the identification of the hazards and the Risk Assessments carried out under Section 19. It must:
- specify how the safety and health of all employees will be secured and managed
- specify the hazards identified and risks assessed
- give details of how the employer is going to manage his or her safety and health responsibilities, including a commitment to comply with legal obligations, the protective and preventive measures taken, the resources provided for safety and health at the workplace and the arrangements used to fulfil these responsibilities
- include the plans and procedures to be used in the event of an emergency or serious danger
- specify the duties of employees, including the co-operation required from them on safety and health matters
- include the names and job titles of people appointed to be responsible for safety and health or for performing the tasks set out in the statement
- contain the arrangements made for appointing safety representatives, and for consulting with and the participation by employees on safety and health matters, including the names of the safety representatives and the members of the safety committee, if appointed
- be written in a form, manner and language that will be understood by all
- include a review mechanism
- have regard to the relevant safety and health legislation
What is a Risk Assessment?
A risk assessment is a written document that Identifies the hazards in the workplace(s) under your control, it assesses the risks presented by these hazards and lists the control measures in place to reduce the risk of these hazards causing harm.